Saturday, October 19, 2013

D.I.Y all the time! Chair face-lift


 D.I.Y all the time!

Chair Face-Lift

 I am going to start off by saying this D.I.Y isn't all that simple. This D.I.Y took me a day and a half to do.
 Okay this may sound a little weird but i found this chair out on a lawn, in front of someone's home. NO I DID NOT STEAL IT!  You know how some people when they want to get rid of something they just leave it out in their front yard and someone will pick it up and take it to get recycled for money? Some of you are probably like what the heck is this chick talking about. If people don't do that where you live, it's pretty common here. So i had passed by this chair a couple times while driving and i just kept on eying the chair like "Should i take it, should i not, should i take it, should i not". Well i took it! Technically i had my boyfriend take it, it was too heavy to pick up myself. So we loaded it up and i took it home.  Next was the fun part, designing the chair which was not easy for me. Too many color combinations to choose from. I ended up choosing an off white soft fabric, black leather, and a light blue paint trim. Im not going to lie this was not as easy as i thought it was going to be BUT IT WAS COMPLETELY WORTH IT. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THE END RESULT.
 I know all chairs aren't the same so a chair you give a face-lift to wont be the same as mine, so some steps might be a little different or you wont have to do some steps at all.
What you will need:
*Low Loft Cotton 45"-60" - Walmart $4.99
*Bostitch Staple gun- I already had this item at home
Found one at Home Depot for $30
*Staples- $3.99
*Your new fabric
( I bought mine at a swam meet, spent $20 on fabric)
-You could try Joann's or Walmart they a small variety of fabrics as well
*Sand paper- Home Depot $2.99
*Paint- Home Depot $3.68   8oz.
*Garbage bag
*Glue gun
*Gloves
*Hammer and Screw driver
 *Buttons (OPTIONAL)
*Trimming- thin black rope, (OPTIONAL/you can try ribbon as well)

 FIRST, what i went ahead and did was remove all the old staples. To do so grab your hammer and screw driver and pull them out. By placing the screw driver behind the staple and hitting it will the hammer. It will cause the staple to loosen and come off.   This was pretty hard to do and requires time AND PATIENTS which i don't really have because i always want to get straight to the end of a project.


 SECOND, when all the staples have been removed rip off the fabric   ( Make sure you put on gloves) rip off the cotton while you're at it too. That is all going to be replaced with new cotton.


 THIRD, now it's time for the sides. Go ahead and tear out all the old fabric and BE REAL CAREFUL THERE MAY BE A FEW STAPLES STICKING OUT. I encountered a few.








 CONTINUE tearing out all of the old fabric throughout the back as well.




 FOURTH, remove all cotton.

 FIFTH, cover the front of the chair except for the wood with a garbage bag.


SIXTH, sand down the wood. Takes some time as well, unless you have mechanical sander then it'll take you a few minutes to sand down.



 
SEVENTH, paint the chair.   From here on out this face-life became a family project which i loved having my mom and dad help me out. 
 My dad helped me paint the chair and staple the fabric on. As for my mom, she helped me measure and cut out the fabric.






EIGHTH, while the chair is drying go ahead and measure all the parts of your chair that will be covered in fabric which is basically everything, for this chair at-least. Once it is all measured grab your fabric make the measurements and cut them out.







NINTH, grab your cotton and now add it to the chair by stapling it onto the chair.










TENTH, take your cut pieces of fabric lay them out on top of the cotton. You can make the fabric hold up by adding pins to help hold fabric in place while stapling it on.





ELEVENTH, grab your staple gun and begin to staple down your fabric. This is also time consuming, depending on how big the chair is. As you can tell my dad was helping stapling on the fabric.





TWELFTH, OPTIONAL sew on some buttons in the front to add a little pop. I used some black flower ones. Which my mom helped my sew on.

THIRTEEN, OPTIONAL grab your glue gun and glue your trimming on top of the staples. Ib don't have a picture when I'm gluing on trimming, but you can see in the finished photo the black trimming between the white fabric and the blue wood.









NOW GO SIT AND ENJOY YOUR CHAIR!


























No comments:

Post a Comment