Thursday, January 9, 2014

D.I.Y all the time! Upcycle old pair of jeans

D.I.Y all the time! 

Upcycle old pair of jeans


I noticed my old favorite pair jeans were beginning to get a small tear at the knee and I am not quite ready to throw them away yet. They just fit me so well. Any of you know what I mean? So I thought why not find a way to keep them maybe just a little longer. So I decided to cut them up. If any of you have the same problem i thought of a way to save your old favorite pair of jeans.

Supplies: -A pair of jeans  -Scissors  -Glue gun  -Ruler  -Tweezers
-Fabric (any print) as long as it stretches


 First, decide where you want to cut the jeans.  I drew it out with chalk so that you would be able to tell where i will cut the jeans.



 Second, cut jeans. I left a couple horizontal strips of the jeans still attached to distress them in the next step. If that makes any sense. I tried to reword that sentence many times I couldn't think of a better sentence to explain what i meant. *Leaving the strips of jeans is optional.
 Third, distress jeans. Distressing the pair of jeans is when you pull out all of the blue jean material with the tweezers then loosening the rest of the material leaving you with white yarn. As shown in the picture when we begin to measure.
 Fourth, Also distress the outer circle. To do so take a fork or your nail and scratch across the edges where you cut. The more you wash your jeans the more distressed the outer edges become.
 Fifth, Measure the length from your highest point to your lowest point leaving one inch extra to each edge. Notice in the picture that at the top of the ruler there is one inch extra before i begin to measure the exact cut i made. I made the same one inch measurement to the bottom as well. Doing so will allow you the extra material needed when gluing. So that the material doesn't feel tight when walking.
 Sixth, measure the width. Measure seam to seam. The width was not long enough to add one extra inch so i just measured seam to seam.
 Seventh, make your measurements on the fabric.
Eighth, cut out measurement.

Should look like this.

 Ninth, begin to glue on fabric. Tip: Glue inch by inch. Well a little longer than that, no more than three inches at a time. To glue fabric on more precisely. If you cut your back pocket. When gluing be VERY CAREFUL. There is no way to flip it inside out so i just glued the fabric on very slowly.

 Tenth, when done gluing flip jeans inside out and go back and glue fabric as close the the edge as possible if you missed any spots.

 DONE!

 

Reminder i did just start an Instagram account just based on D.I.Y all the time! you can find the account under       d_i_yallthetime           I will post up pictures when i have a new blog up.


No comments:

Post a Comment